Wednesday, November 4, 2015

Southport Dress in the Crazy Rayon


Summer has hit in the southern hemisphere, which means I need summer dresses for every day! The Southport Dress by True Bias was released just as things started to cool down for us in Australia (back in April), but I still snapped it up on release day, knowing it would be the perfect summer dress. There was a lot of love for the Southport during the Northern Hemisphere summer, and I have no doubt there will be the same "down under".

Here is my wearable muslin and really, it's as perfect as I thought it would be!

this pose - trying to hide the remote behind my back... so dorky!

Some notes
  • I cut a 10 bust, and 8 waist/hips. Next time, I'll cut a straight 8 as I took in the bodice side seams about 1cm.
  • Fabric is some *crazy print* rayon from Spotlight, it's nice to wear and the crazy print hides the wrinkles that rayon tends to get. While I decided I don't love the print after I bought it - it really is great for hiding all matter of kid-related-messes so let's just call it the perfect print.





  • I used slightly bigger buttons than suggested - these ones from my local craft shop are giving off a fabulous 80s vibe.


  • I followed along with the pattern instructions & sewalong - and they are great. 
  • Minor changes: the back skirt was cut with a CB seam because of fabric restrictions. 
  • Also I added a strip of elastic in the middle third of the waist tie (it's all hidden inside the waistband) to add a bit of flexibility & it just makes it more comfortable to wear. Here's a quick pic of what my waist tie looked like before I threaded it through. (basically I made two smaller ties, and a length of elastic)

  • I made the skirt a tad shorter (?1 inch) but I'm a shorty (165cm)
With the button placket, this dress is nursing (breastfeeding) friendly - I have tried it out many times over the last fortnight. It's lovely to wear dresses again! I cannot wait to make up the Maxi version B - I have some amazing rayon I bought recently in Helsinki, Finland (!!). I'll chat about my fabric "souveniers" in that post!
When your dress matches the flowers in your tree!




2 comments:

  1. Your Southport is lovely! Perfect fabric choice- I bet this will be a go-to summer dress!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Meg! It's super comfy too, definitely a win in my books!

      Delete