sewing for [little] boys

There's a pretty steady stream of tshirts & shorts that get made for my little man (3 yrs). They don't take much fabric, often I recycle old tshirts from myself & the Mister, and they take pretty little time. I don't usually blog them because they're too busy being worn! But here's a few I've made recently...

instead of continually self-drafting (can you call it that when you just copy a RTW garment??) I bought 2 of See Kate Sew's boys patterns - the Recess Raglan Tee & the AZTEC hooded vest. I debated on spending the $$ for two simple patterns, but the styling and longevity of the patterns (both go to kids size 8) means I'll get lots of use from these two. And they sew up great!!


Above: I've got the long-sleeve raglan in size 3T twice, with cuffs. Fully sewed on the serger except for the zigzag hem (seriously can't be bothered rethreading the double needle!). I scooped the hem on the blue/white one for a bit more style.

The larger short-sleeve top is a size 6T I made for gift. I used the sleeve tabs and added a pocket. Both the sleeve tabs & pocket use a woven, and I cut the pocket (just winged the shape) on the bias so it can stretch a bit with the shirt.

To be honest, I don't follow the instructions much that come with this pattern. I would much prefer to set the sleeves in flat before sewing the side seams, as well as the neck band. In fact for a beginner pattern I think that would be a much easier method to use. But there are lots of pictures in the instructions for you to follow if you need to.





The vest is the AZTEC hooded vest. Obviously I omitted the hood, and just drafted a neck band. I omitted the open welt pockets too. I didn't think either of those would be used much by my little boy. This pattern comes with a super cute topstitching pattern which totally won me over on this pattern. Although you can't see it very well (just normal thread getting lost in the beautiful french terry from The Fabric Store) it is there if you look.


I fully lined it (as the pattern has you) and instead of having to top stitch the arm holes which is where you turn it right-side-out I just hand stitched a small gap in the hem, allowing me to make the arm holes nice and clean. If i used a reversible zip this would be a fully reversible vest! It looks super cute on, although was a little bit too big (which i did on purpose). I just sewed up the side seams with a long stitch to take out as he grows a bit.


Both of these patterns are definitely in the TNT section of my pattern collection & I totally recommend them!

Popular posts from this blog

Almada Robe : a Lovefest

@sew_everyday update

Baggage :: Portside Duffle and Desmond Backpack